Special Events Permits

There are many types of special events. They include parades and processions, races and tours, rest-area coffee breaks, and placement of banners and decorations.

To use state-highway right of way for a special event, you must make arrangements to accommodate the traveling public, and you must obtain insurance to protect the state from the additional liability imposed by using the highway for the event.

Depending upon the event, accommodating travelers often calls for extensive traffic control as well. You must contract with a qualified traffic-control company that will design a plan for placement of signs and other devices to direct drivers through the area safely.

A Certificate of Insurance must accompany the Special Event Application and shall be endorsed to include State of Arizona/ADOT as an additional insured with respect to general liability in the amount of $5 million* and provide a Waiver of Subrogation endorsement in favor of the State of Arizona/ADOT for all insurance coverage.

Submit an application for a special event to the respective ADOT district’s permit office 60 days prior to the scheduled event.

* Effective May 18, 2015 and until further notice: ADOT Safety & Risk Management will require $1 million per occurrence and $2 million in the aggregate for all parade only permits.

The Arizona Ombudsman – Citizens Aide helps you resolve ongoing issues with State Agencies.

Civil Rights

Pursuant to Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and other nondiscrimination laws and authorities, ADOT does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age, or disability. Persons that require a reasonable accommodation based on language or disability should contact ADOT’s Civil Rights Office at Requests should be made as early as possible to ensure the State has an opportunity to address the accommodation.

De acuerdo con el Título VI de la Ley de Derechos Civiles de 1964, la Ley de Estadounidenses con Discapacidades (ADA por sus siglas en inglés) y otras normas y leyes antidiscriminatorias, el Departamento de Transporte de Arizona (ADOT) no discrimina por motivos de raza, color, origen nacional, sexo, edad o discapacidad. Las personas que requieran asistencia (dentro de lo razonable) ya sea por el idioma o discapacidad deben ponerse en contacto con la Oficina de Derechos Civiles de ADOT en Las solicitudes deben hacerse lo más antes posible para asegurar que el Estado tenga la oportunidad de hacer los arreglos necesarios.