The Arizona Department of Transportation is completing a project to make safety and intersection improvements on US 70 from 20th Avenue to Eighth Street in Safford.
Key improvements include:
- Lighting upgrades throughout the work zone
- Americans with Disability Act improvements
- Pedestrian crossing improvements at 11th Avenue
- Realignment of the north side of the 14th Avenue intersection
- Increasing the turn radius for truck accessibility at the Eighth Avenue intersection
- Hollywood Road/Eighth Street intersection modifications
- Hollywood Road converted to a T-intersection
- Eighth Street converted to a cul-de-sac
The $770,000 project is scheduled to begin in late 2018 and run through spring 2019.
US 70 will remain open throughout the project, but traffic may be reduced to a single lane in each direction while work is occurring.
ADOT will maintain access to businesses throughout the project.
Drivers and pedestrians should proceed through the work zone with caution, slow down and watch for construction personnel and equipment.