The Arizona Department of Transportation, in conjunction with Pima County and the Federal Highway Administration, is currently working to widen and improve a segment of State Route 86 (Ajo Way) between Valencia and Kinney roads. The purpose of the project is to enhance safety and improve traffic flow along this segment of SR 86 in Tucson and meet current and future traffic needs.
The segment of SR 86 experiences a steady volume in commuter traffic because of ongoing residential development in the area and existing employment destinations in Tucson.
Additionally, SR 86 serves as a regional transportation route between Tucson and south-central Arizona and provides access to the Tohono O’odham Nation. The state route also is used to reach the popular tourist destination of Puerto Peñasco in Sonora, Mexico, also known as Rocky Point.
Construction on the SR 86 Valencia Road to Kinney Road project began in February 2016 and is nearly complete. A final layer of pavement will be added between Camino Verde and Valencia in the spring of 2019.
The project includes:
- Widening the highway to two lanes in each direction between Valencia and Kinney roads with a median dividing the travel lanes
- Realigning the intersections with Camino Verde, Tucson Estates Parkway and Old Ajo Highway
- Improving connections to local streets
- Adding ADA ramps with pushbuttons at the intersection of SR 86 and Kinney Road
- Installing new overhead message signs on SR 86 east and west of Valencia Road
- Enhancing drainage features, including two bridge additions
- Installing traffic signals at Valencia Road, San Joaquin Road, Camino Verde and Kinney Road
- Adding low-maintenance landscaping in the project area
Drivers should expect possible delays and consider alternate routes.
Schedules are subject to change based on weather and other unforeseen factors.
to receive project updates and traffic alerts by email. For more information about this project, please call the ADOT Project Information Line at 855.712.8530 or email Projects@azdot.gov with questions or comments.