Weekend Freeway Travel Advisory
No construction closures along Valley Freeways over Fourth of July weekend
ADOT asks drivers to buckle up, slow down and never drive while impaired
PHOENIX – Drivers will get a break from construction-related closures along freeways in the Phoenix area and across the state over the Independence Day weekend.
The Arizona Department of Transportation and its contractors will not schedule closures along Valley freeways or other state-maintained highways from Friday afternoon, June 30, through late Tuesday night, July 4.
Drivers are urged to focus on safe driving, including slowing down and using extra caution in existing work zones across the state. Arizona’s “Stay Alert – Stay Alive” highway safety recommendations include:
- Check your vehicle, including the tire pressure
- Get some rest before traveling – fatigue is a serious safety risk
- Never drive while impaired – arrange for a designated driver in advance
- Allow extra travel time and be prepared for unscheduled closures
- Buckle up and obey speed limits
- Avoid distractions – don’t text while driving
- Pack extra supplies, including drinking water and snack foods
- Avoid parking vehicles in areas with taller grasses or brush – that could spark a fire
Check on highway conditions before you get behind the wheel by visiting ADOT’s Travel Information site at az511.gov or calling 511. Updates also are available on ADOT’s Twitter feed @ArizonaDOT.