Pavement Preservation Project
The Arizona Department of Transportation (ADOT) and the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) are rehabilitating the existing pavement on Interstate 40 (I-40) between milepost 179 and 191, approximately four miles west of the city of Flagstaff, in Coconino County. The project also includes installing new guardrail throughout the project limits, and minor bridge repairs to the east and westbound Bellemont traffic interchange (TI), A-1 Mountain TI, and at Riordan.
Construction began in June 2017. Base paving on I-40 is anticipated to be finished before winter, and final project completion, including surface paving, in spring 2018.
The project will rehabilitate the existing pavement within the project limits, including the following:
- Removing and replacing pavement on east– and westbound I-40.
- Removing and replacing guardrail.
- Repairing the east- and westbound Riordan, Bellemont, and A-1 Mountain TI bridge deck joints.
- Completing minor bridge deck repairs at:
- A-1 Mountain
- Restriping the roadway and installing rumble strips