The Arizona Department of Transportation (ADOT) is constructing improvements to the Twin Arrows traffic interchange (TI) located 18 miles east of Flagstaff in Coconino County on Interstate 40 (milepost 218 to 220).
The project will provide new eastbound off and on ramps to create improved access at the traffic interchange. The project will also add new girders, widen the abutments, widen and repave the bridge deck, and replace the existing bridge barriers.
During construction, temporary concrete barriers will be in place on Interstate 40 within the project area, reducing travel to one lane for both east- and westbound traffic. The restriction will provide a safe construction zone and will be in place at all hours until work is completed. Restrictions across the bridge will be accommodated with flaggers and temporary traffic signals while work is underway. Access across the bridge and to Interstate 40 will be accommodated at all times, although temporary restrictions will be needed.
Construction on this project includes the following:
- Relocating and constructing the eastbound Twin Arrows interchange off and on ramp to a diamond configuration
- Widening the bridge to the west to accommodate two 12-foot travel lanes with eight-foot shoulders
- Removing and replacing the bridge deck and barriers
- Erecting new girders for the widened bridge and installing new bridge abutments
- Paving and installing new signing and striping