The Arizona Department of Transportation (ADOT) and the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) are improving and enhancing roadway safety on 17 miles of State Route 88 located through Tonto National Forest lands, beginning approximately 3 miles east of Apache Junction and ending 7 miles east of Tortilla Flat (milepost 203 to 220).
Construction is scheduled to begin in November 2017, and final project completion is anticipated in late summer 2018. The project will rehabilitate the existing pavement within the project limits, and includes the following:
- Adjusting roadway curves at six locations
- Paving selected pullouts
- Updating signage and pavement markings
- Repairing the concrete ford across Tortilla Creek near Tortilla Flat
- Removing rocks to limit rock fall onto the roadway
- Removing and replacing guardrail