The Arizona Department of Transportation is preparing for a pavement preservation project on State Route 74 (Carefree Highway) in the community of Morristown, cities of Peoria, Phoenix and Maricopa County. Work will occur on SR 74 between U.S. 60 and Interstate 17 and will impact travel in both directions.
The project is scheduled to begin the morning of Monday, May 13, and is scheduled for completion by the afternoon of Wednesday, May 22.
What to expect:
- SR74 will be narrowed to one lane only, in 2-mile sections, from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. each work day.
- A pilot car and flaggers will guide alternating lanes of traffic through the work zone
- Allow extra travel time and expect slow travel.
- Monday, May 13 – Work is scheduled to be between milepost 0 (U.S. 60) and milepost 6
- Tuesday, May 14 – Work is scheduled to be between milepost 6 and milepost 12
- Wednesday, May 15 – Work is scheduled to be between milepost 12 and milepost 18
- Monday, May 22 – Work is scheduled to be between milepost 18 and milepost 24
- Tuesday, May 23 – Work is scheduled to be between milepost 24 and milepost 30 (I-17)
- Wednesday, May 24 – Expect intermittent lane restrictions in the project area for inspection work.
The restrictions are necessary so ADOT crews can do fog-seal work, which helps protect and extend the life of the highway pavement.
Schedules are subject to change based on weather and other unforeseen factors. Subscribe to receive project updates and traffic alerts by email. For more information, please call the ADOT Bilingual Project Information Line at 855.712.8530 or submit a question or comment by email. For real-time highway conditions statewide, visit ADOT’s Traveler Information Site at www.az511.gov, follow ADOT on Twitter (@ArizonaDOT) or call 511, except while driving.