Central District Projects
State Route 347 at Union Pacific Railroad
The Arizona Department of Transportation and the Federal Highway Administration have initiated a project to reconstruct nearly 2 miles of SR 347 in Maricopa on a new alignment that will include replacing the existing at-grade intersection of SR 347 and the Union Pacific Railroad tracks with an overpass. Work will occur between Hathaway Avenue and Desert Cedars Drive and also includes constructing a new six-lane realignment of Honeycutt Avenue, Honeycutt Road and the Maricopa-Casa Grande Highway; building a new connection between the Maricopa-Casa Grande Highway and Honeycutt Road; installing traffic signals and fencing; building sidewalks and raised medians; and establishing landscaping.
The project is designed to improve traffic flow and safety along SR 347, which is Maricopa’s main transportation corridor through the community and the primary regional connector to major employment and recreation areas.
Pre-construction activity began in March 2018 with the removal of vacant structures in the work zone. The project is scheduled for completion by late 2019.
What to Expect
- Work is generally scheduled to occur Mondays-Fridays during daytime hours, with some overnight work if needed.
- Occasional work could be scheduled on weekends. No work is scheduled to occur on holidays.
- Drivers should expect delays while construction is underway. Allow extra travel time on SR 347, the Maricopa- Casa Grande Highway, Honeycutt Road and Honeycutt Avenue.
- Detours and lane reconfigurations will be in place to accommodate restrictions or closures in the work zone.
- The speed limit in the work zone will be reduced.
- Schedules are subject to change based on weather and other unforeseen factors.
ADOT crews reached a major milestone recently as the last 90-ton concrete girder is put into place on the new SR 347 bridge in Maricopa. When completed later this year, the bridge will span over the Union Pacific Railroad tracks and Maricopa-Casa Grand Highway, which will provide much-needed relief for drivers who contend daily with countless delays and traffic backups from the existing street-level crossing of SR 347 with the railroad tracks.
First visible signs of future overpass on State Route 347
A series of steel-reinforced concrete columns that will support the future overpass structure on State Route 347 are beginning to rise above the desert floor in Maricopa. Scheduled for completion by late 2019, the ADOT project will resolve traffic congestion at the existing street-level crossing of SR 347 with the Union Pacific Railroad tracks.