The Arizona Department of Transportation and the Federal Highway Administration have initiated a project to upgrade the Freeway Management System (FMS) on just more than 6 miles of the Loop 303 located in the city of Goodyear and in Maricopa County. The purpose of the project is to improve traffic flow and safety. Work is slated to occur between Interstate 10 and Northern Avenue and includes installation of the following equipment:
- twenty-two wrong-way vehicle detection thermal cameras that will be focused on the off-ramps at the major freeway intersections in the project area: Northern and Glendale avenues and Bethany Home, Camelback, Indian School, Thomas and McDowell roads;
- four full-color dynamic message signs that provide travel times, alerts about highway closures or other incidents, safety messages and other important information for drivers; and
- seven closed circuit television cameras, which enable the ADOT Traffic Operations Center to monitor highway conditions statewide 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
The project also includes repositioning nine traffic detector stations to improve traffic flow, ease congestion and determine instantaneous traffic counts and vehicle speeds; enhancing ADOT’s Intelligent Transportation Systems’ communication capabilities by installing more than 14 miles of efficient fiber optic cabling and seven new load centers; and extending barrier and guardrail where needed.
Work on this $4.5 million project began in April 2018 and is scheduled for completion in summer 2019.
What to expect:
- Lane restrictions or closures that impact travel could occur and will be scheduled for evenings and weekends to avoid peak travel times. Drivers should allow extra travel time and consider alternate routes if travel lanes are restricted.
- No holiday work is planned.
- Work is scheduled to begin in the south end of the project zone near Interstate 10 and move north toward Northern Avenue.
- Drivers should slow down and use caution around construction personnel and equipment.
- Schedules are subject to change because of weather or other unforeseen conditions. Subscribe to receive project updates and traffic alerts by email.