Central District Projects
Loop 202 (South Mountain Freeway)
Salt River Segment
Lower Buckeye Road southeast to 51st Avenue
Construction Alerts and Notices
Elliot Road Closure
Monday, October 23, 2017 through March 2018
As part of the roadway improvements for the Loop 202 South Mountain Freeway, Elliot Road will be closed at 59th Avenue to allow construction crews to install underground utilities and construct the bridge for the future freeway interchange at Elliot Road.
Detours: Traffic will be detoured to Dobbins Road at 59th and 75th avenues.
What to Expect:
Over 150 days, crews will complete the following work:
- Install underground utilities
- Perform earthwork for future freeway and ramps
- Install Mechanically Stabilized Earth (MSE) Walls
- Construct the Elliot Road bridge over the future freeway
- Install traffic signals and lighting
Southern and 59th avenues Construction Yard
|Connect 202 Partners (C202P), the developer responsible for designing and building the South Mountain Freeway, established a construction yard at Southern and 59th avenues to store equipment and materials needed for construction of the Salt River bridges. A lined basin will also be onsite to provide water for dust control.
What to Expect:
- Construction traffic accessing the site from Southern Avenue.
- Construction traffic turning north from Southern Avenue onto the existing road west of the power lines.
- Approximately 10 trucks delivering materials daily.
- Most activity occurs weekdays from 6 a.m. to 7 p.m.
Spanish version available
Late 2017 to Mid 2018 Construction Schedule (Anticipated)
Residents will see the following major construction activities starting mid-2017 to early-2018:
- Mid-November closure of Southern Avenue between 51st and 67th avenues for up to 3.5 months
- Mid-October closure of Elliot Road west of 59th Avenue for up to 5 months
- Closure of Estrella Drive after Elliot Road opens
To receive advance notice of upcoming traffic restrictions, sign-up for weekly traffic alerts.
Residents, business owners, schools and homeowner’s associations who may be directly impacted by construction will receive additional notices.