Central District Projects
Loop 202 (South Mountain Freeway)
Construction Alerts and Notices
|As part of the roadway improvements for the Loop 202 South Mountain Freeway, Estrella Drive will be closed west of 51st Avenue to allow crews to install underground utilities and construct the bridge for the future freeway interchange at Estrella Drive.
Detour: Traffic will be detoured to Elliot Road and 51st Avenue
Over the next 160 days, crews will complete the following work:
Install underground utilities and drainage
Construct freeway bridge over Estrella Drive
Construct a double roundabout to replace the existing street
Install traffic signals and lighting
Southern and 59th avenues Construction Yard
|Connect 202 Partners (C202P), the developer responsible for designing and building the South Mountain Freeway, established a construction yard at Southern and 59th avenues to store equipment and materials needed for construction of the Salt River bridges. A lined basin will also be onsite to provide water for dust control.
What to Expect:
- Construction traffic accessing the site from Southern Avenue.
- Construction traffic turning north from Southern Avenue onto the existing road west of the power lines.
- Approximately 10 trucks delivering materials daily.
- Most activity occurs weekdays from 6 a.m. to 7 p.m.
Spanish version available
Early-to Mid 2018 Construction Schedule (Anticipated)
To complete the work currently scheduled through mid-2018, the following street restrictions and closures are anticipated. Actual dates and times of restrictions and closures will be published in the weekly traffic alerts.
- Closure of Southern Avenue between 61st Avenue and 64th Place through March 2018
- Closure of Elliot Road west of 59th Avenue through March 2018
- Closure of Estrella Drive between 59th and 51st avenues for up to 150 days
- Traffic shifts on Baseline Road between 63rd and 59th avenues for bridge construction
- Truck dirt hauls at night along Broadway Road and 59th Avenue
To receive advance notice of upcoming traffic restrictions, sign up for weekly traffic alerts.
Residents, business owners, schools and homeowner’s associations who may be directly impacted by construction will receive additional notices.