Central District Projects
Loop 202 (South Mountain Freeway)
I-10 (Papago Freeway) between 75th and 43rd avenues and south to Lower Buckeye Road
Construction Alerts and Notices
As part of the South Mountain Freeway construction, Sherman Street will close temporarily between 59th and 61st avenues to construct the 59th Avenue southbound frontage road. Please use alternate routes during this time frame.
Larger and Spanish versions available
To build the interchange connecting the South Mountain Freeway to the I-10 Papago Freeway, I-10 ramps between 67th and 51st avenues will be reconstructed. This will require the ramps to be closed for one to two months. Weekend closures of I-10 will also be necessary.
What to Expect:
I-10 Weekend Closures
Westbound I-10 between 51st and 59th avenues will be closed from:
- 10 p.m. Friday, April 20 to 5 a.m. Monday, April 23
- 10 p.m. Friday, May 18 to 10 p.m. Saturday, May 19
Westbound I-10 between 51st and 67th avenues will be closed from:
- 10 p.m. Friday, May 4 to 5 a.m. Monday, May 7
- Ramps being removed will be replaced with new access roads, currently under construction.
- I-10 westbound off-ramp at 51st Avenue closed from Saturday, January 27 to Saturday, March 3
- I-10 eastbound on-ramp at 51st Avenue closed from Saturday, February 10 to Saturday, March 17
- I-10 eastbound off-ramp at 67th Avenue will be closed in mid-February or early March for up to 40 days
Dates and times are subject to change. Ramp closures are 24 hours a day, 7 days a week during the time period indicated above. Please visit SouthMountainFreeway.com and AZ511 before traveling on I-10. Commuters should
expect continued delays and consider using alternate routes, including Valley Metro express bus routes. Please visit SharetheRide.com for information on car or vanpools.
Early-to Mid 2018 Construction Schedule (Anticipated)
To complete the work currently scheduled through mid-2018, the following street and freeway restrictions and closures are anticipated. Actual dates and times of restrictions and closures will be published in the weekly traffic alerts.
- Periodic weekend and night closures of I-10 Papago Freeway at 59th Avenue for bridge construction
- Extended closures of I-10 ramps from 67th to 51st avenues to allow reconstruction of existing ramps and construction of new access roads
- Permanent closure of 59th Avenue ramps after access roads open
- Truck dirt hauls at night along 59th Avenue
- Periodic restrictions on cross streets
To receive advance notice of upcoming traffic restrictions, sign-up for weekly traffic alerts.
Residents, business owners, schools and homeowner’s associations who may be directly impacted by construction will receive additional notices.