Central District Projects
Interstate 17 Pavement Preservation Project | Phoenix
The Arizona Department of Transportation has scheduled a project to help preserve the life of the asphalt on a busy stretch of Interstate 17 near downtown Phoenix. Work is scheduled to occur over two weekends on I-17 between the I-10 “split” near 24th Street and the I-17/I-10 “Stack” interchange.
ADOT Maintenance crews are scheduled to “crack seal” the pavement. The process involves filling and sealing the cracks in the road surface to prevent water and potentially damaging materials from permeating the roadway. This helps to extend the life of the pavement and reinforces the adjacent pavement.
Work on north and southbound I-17 is scheduled to occur over two different weekends. When work is occurring on northbound I-17, drivers will be able to access southbound I-17 from I-10 and other ramps in the work zone and vice-versa.
What to expect:
- Southbound I-17 will be closed in the work zone from 9 p.m. Friday, Oct. 19, to 9 p.m. Sunday, Oct. 21. The connecting ramps from I-10 to southbound I-17 and all other southbound I-17 on-ramps in the work zone will be closed.
- Northbound I-17 will be closed in the work zone from 6 a.m. Saturday, Oct. 27, to 5 a.m. Monday, Oct. 29. The connecting ramps from I-10 to northbound I-17 and all other northbound I-17 on-ramps in the work zone will be closed.
- Detour: Interstate 10 is the primary detour for all drivers except those hauling hazardous materials. Vehicles hauling hazardous materials must use McDowell Road between Seventh Street and Seventh Avenue.
- The I-17 frontage roads will remain open.
- Businesses located along I-17 in the work zone will be accessible from the frontage roads or local streets.
ADOT encourages all motorists to plan ahead for possible delays and to consider using other routes.
Subscribe to receive updates by email.
Schedules are subject to change based on weather and other unforeseen factors. For more information, please call the ADOT Project Information Line at 855.712.8530 or email Projects@azdot.gov. For real-time highway conditions statewide, visit ADOT's Traveler Information Site at www.az511.gov, follow ADOT on Twitter (@ArizonaDOT) or call 511, except when driving.