MVD Home Page Home Page :: MVD Site Index


International Registration Plan
Travel Interstate and Need Apportioned Registration?

What is IRP and apportioned registration?

The International Registration Plan (IRP) is an agreement between member jurisdictions for registering vehicles that travel in two or more jurisdictions. The member jurisdictions include all contiguous states, District of Columbia and participating Canadian provinces. Registrations issued under this agreement are commonly referred to as "apportioned" or "prorated" registrations.

Apportioned registration is an optional method of registration that provides for registration of a fleet of vehicles that operate in two or more jurisdictions, by payment of fees to the base jurisdiction. A fleet can include one or more vehicles. The base jurisdiction is responsible for transmitting the fees owed to the affected jurisdictions. Registration fees are determined by the percentage of miles traveled in each member jurisdiction and the registered combined gross vehicle weight (GVW) of each vehicle.

Who is eligible?

If your vehicle is a power unit that is used or intended for use in two or more IRP member jurisdictions and is used for the transportation of persons for hire or designed, used, or maintained primarily for the transportation of property, and:

  • Has two axles and a GVW or registered GVW in excess of 26,000 pounds, or
  • Has three or more axles, regardless of weight, or
  • Is used in combination, when the GVW of the combination exceeds 26,000 pounds.

What are the benefits?
  • With a single payment, you pay your registration fees for all the member jurisdictions you will be operating in during your registration period.
  • The apportioned plate and cab card issued to each vehicle will be accepted as proof of registration in the member jurisdictions for which you registered.
  • Rather than multiple plates and registration cab cards from each jurisdiction you register in, you receive only one license plate and a cab card from your base jurisdiction.
  • You will not be required to purchase permits at the ports of entry for which you have paid registration fees.
  • At any time you have the ability to modify and update your registration to add or delete vehicles or jurisdictions to which you travel.

How do I apply?

Below is a link to various forms that may be required for opening a new IRP account in Arizona. You may mail your completed IRP application to one of the locations below:

Mail Drop 527M
Motor Carrier Licensing Unit
Motor Vehicle Division
PO Box 2100
Phoenix AZ 85001-2100
or Motor Carrier Licensing Unit
Motor Vehicle Division
621 E 22nd St
Tucson AZ 85713

Or, you may submit the required documents to a third party provider authorized by MVD to perform IFTA transactions.


  • New Carrier Checklist
  • IFTA/IRP Application
  • Apportioned Registration Application
  • Record Keeping Agreement
  • Lease Agreement Certificate, if applicable
  • Power of Attorney–Motor Carrier, (if applicable)
  • Copy of the title or proof of VIN for each vehicle being added to the fleet
  • Copy of the IRS form 2290, Heavy Highway Vehicle Use Tax Return, for each unit with a GVW of 55,000 lbs or greater.
  • USDOT number (apply to Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration)
  • Operating Authority (MC number) – This number must be active before you submit your application (apply to Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration)
  • Evidence of your established place of business in Arizona, or proof of residency in Arizona
    • Examples of acceptable proof for Established Place of Business:
      • Real estate ownership document
      • Real estate lease agreement
      • Rent or Mortgage payment receipt
      • Utility bill with applicants name on it
      • A current copy of the IRS form 2290
      • A copy of your articles of incorporation
    • Examples of acceptable proof of Residency:
      • Current Arizona Drivers License
      • Vehicle titles in applicants name is an Arizona title
      • A copy of your Arizona personal tax return
      • A copy of your Articles of Incorporation, with the principal owner listed as a resident of Arizona.
Will my vehicles still have to be emissions tested?

No, Arizona apportioned registered vehicles are exempt from Arizona emission testing requirements.

How are apportioned vehicles renewed?

Each year you will receive a renewal notice with a list of all vehicles that are currently registered in your apportioned fleet.

  • Make any needed corrections or updates (delete vehicles)
  • Mail the renewal information to Motor Carrier Services or visit an Authorized Third Party Provider. They will process your changes and send you an invoice.

How can I make my apportioned registration payment?

Options available for payment are:

  • Mail: check or money order
  • Call: with credit card number
  • In Person:
    • Motor Carrier Licensing Unit located at 1801 W. Jefferson, Phoenix, AZ
    • Motor Carrier Licensing Unit located at 621 E 22nd St, Tucson, AZ
    • Authorized Third Party Provider

Is there a charge for replacing a lost plate or cab card?

Yes, there is a $5.00 fee charged for replacement of an apportioned plate or cab card (plus a postage fee).

Quick Links

bullet MVD Forms & Publications

bullet Apportioned Registration Manual

bullet IRP Inc.

bullet IRP FAQs

bullet DOT Number

bullet Operating Authority

bullet Arizona Corporation Commission

bullet IFTA Inc.

bullet IFTA Tax Filing

bullet IFTA Manual

bullet Permanent Fleet Registration

bullet IRS–2290

bullet Commercial Driver License Information

bullet Oversize/Overweight Permit Information

    Arizona Department of Transportation    
   Disclaimer & Privacy Statement  |   Contact MVD