Special Restricted Driver License
In cases involving driver license suspension/revocation resulting from a DUI-related violation date on or after Feb. 1, 2006, you may be eligible for a special restricted driver license if you have:
- contacted MVD to verify eligibility (or received a notice of eligibility from MVD).
- no other outstanding withdrawal actions pending on your driving record.
- installed an ignition interlock on your vehicle and provided MVD proof with a "Verification of Installation" form.
- complied with mandatory alcohol treatment programs (if required) and submitted proof of completion to MVD.
- submitted proof of future financial responsibility to MVD (e.g., certificate of automobile liability insurance known as an SR22).
- paid all applicable fees.
Please Note: Special Restricted Driver License is not a requirement and is not credited toward any other Ignition Interlock Order that may be present on the driver record.
The license is valid only during the period of suspension or revocation and allows vehicle operation between these locations:
- Place of employment and residence during specified periods of time while at employment
- Place of residence, the person's place of employment and the person's secondary or postsecondary school according to the person's employment or educational schedule
- Place of residence and a treatment or screening facility for scheduled appointments
- Place of residence and the office of the person's probation officer for scheduled appointments
- Place of residence and the office of a physician or other health-care professional
- Place of residence and a certified ignition interlock device service facility
Juvenile Special Restricted Driver License
In cases involving juveniles who are not statutorily mandated to have an interlock installed but have been ordered by a court to have one, the recipient must maintain the interlock in their vehicle for the duration of the court order. If the device is removed, the recipient will be considered non-compliant and may have their driving privilege canceled, suspended or revoked.