Driver Services

New to AZ

Items Needed for a Title and Registration

The following are requirements to obtain an Arizona title, registration and license plate for a vehicle previously titled or registered in another state. This is general information only. Any title and registration action may present special requirements. For additional information, see our MVD FAQ page.

Physical Inspection of the Vehicle

Physical inspection is not required on out of state vehicles if the owner has proof of ownership, such as a title and/or registration. The make, vehicle identification number (VIN), body style and other general vehicle information must be verified at an MVD or authorized Third Party office prior to registration. If there are obvious safety or mechanical flaws, registration may be denied until repairs are completed.

For more information, see Vehicle Inspections.

Emissions Test

Before you register, your vehicle may need an emission test. The Arizona Department of Environmental Quality is responsible for the emission testing program and laws. For more information contact the Arizona Department of Environmental Quality toll free 877.692.9227 (877.MYAZCAR) or

Vehicle Insurance

Arizona requires that every motor vehicle operated on our roadways be covered by one of the statutory forms of financial responsibility, more commonly called liability insurance, through a company that is authorized to do business in Arizona. This includes golf carts, motorcycles and mopeds.

Minimum levels of financial responsibility are

  • $15,000 bodily injury liability for one person and $30,000 for two or more persons.
  • $10,000 property damage liability.

Law enforcement officers will ask you for proof of insurance at the time of traffic stops or accidents. Insurance companies notify us of all policy cancellations, non-renewals, and new policies. If your insurance company sends us a notice that your policy is no longer active, we will send you an inquiry notice to verify insurance status.

Failure to maintain proper insurance could lead to the suspension of your vehicle registration and/or driver license. To reinstate these privileges, fees and future proof of financial responsibility must be filed with us. The future proof requirement is most commonly an SR22 form from an insurance company. This can be expensive to the vehicle owner, especially since the law requires the owner to carry the SR22 for three years from the date of suspension.

For additional information, see our MVD FAQ page

Proof of Ownership

Your out-of-state title and registration must be surrendered at the time of application for Arizona title and registration. When a loan has been recorded against the vehicle and the title is being held by a lender in another state, the registration is still needed, although the title may not be required.

Loan Information

All liens on your existing title will be recorded on the new Arizona title unless you provide an original lien clearance from the lender (or a letter on the lender’s letterhead) that contains the vehicle identification number (VIN), year, make and body style of the vehicle, the original loan amount, the date of the contract, and the lender’s complete name and mailing address.


All applicants listed on the application for Arizona title must sign the application. An original, notarized power of attorney is acceptable to allow an appointed person to sign on behalf of one or more of the owners.

Ninety Day Registration

An Arizona resident who does not have complete documentation for issuance of a title or registration may apply for a 90 day registration. This registration allows you to operate the vehicle while obtaining additional documentation. The fee is $15. When complete documentation is submitted, vehicle license taxes will be calculated, for the full year, back to the date of issuance of the 90 day registration.

Plates/Special Plates

Out-of-state license plates must be surrendered when you obtain Arizona plates. Special plates are available for most vehicles.