Frequently Asked Questions

Vehicle Services

Title Lien (for Owners)

After I pay off my loan, how soon will I get my title from my lienholder?

When a lienholder has credited the final payment, it should take approximately five business days, including mailing time.

Am I required to apply for a lien-free title when I receive my original title from my lienholder with a lien release?

No. Your original title together with the lien release is all that is needed.

Can I apply for a duplicate title if my title is held by the lienholder?

A duplicate title may be issued if the original title was lost. The duplicate title will be sent to the lienholder.

I want to sell my vehicle this weekend, but because the lienholder is holding my title, I cannot give the title to the new owner. What do I do?

Arizona law requires you to transfer the title to the new owner at the time of delivery of the vehicle. You must obtain the title from the lienholder before delivering the vehicle.

I'm leaving the state tomorrow and have sold my vehicle. The lien is paid but I have not yet received the title and lien release. Can I apply for a duplicate title to give to the new owner?

No. A duplicate title is issued when the original title is lost. However, you may visit any MVD or authorized third-party office and request a Power of Attorney With Odometer Disclosure form. This allows you to give power of attorney to the new owner to sign off your interest on your behalf. As the seller, you are required to complete the odometer information. Contact your lienholder and request that the title (with lien release) be sent to the new owner.

I want to trade my vehicle in at a dealership and the lienholder has my title. What shall I do?

The dealer will request that you initial and sign a Dealer Acquisition Contract in lieu of presenting a title at the time of a trade-in.

My title and lien release are lost. How do I get a replacement?

Contact your lienholder for a replacement notarized lien release. Take the lien release to any MVD or authorized third-party office and apply for a duplicate title. Staple the lien release to the duplicate title.

I want to add another owner on my title and there is a lien on my vehicle. What do I do?

Contact your lienholder. If they permit an additional owner, they will process the change.

A law enforcement officer has advised me that the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) on my current registration doesn’t match my vehicle. I have a lien on my vehicle. How do I get a corrected title?

Visit any MVD office where a vehicle inspection will be conducted. Provide the inspection document to your lienholder who will process the corrected title.

I want to record a second lien and my title is being held by my first lienholder. What should I do?

Request your second lienholder contact the first lienholder to arrange to add a second lien on your vehicle title.

What can I do if my lienholder does not deliver my title after I have paid off my loan?

You may apply for an MVD Administrative Hearing if your lienholder does not provide you with the title within 15 business days from full satisfaction of the lien.

The Arizona Ombudsman – Citizens Aide helps you resolve ongoing issues with State Agencies.

Civil Rights

Pursuant to Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and other nondiscrimination laws and authorities, ADOT does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age, or disability. Persons that require a reasonable accommodation based on language or disability should contact ADOT’s Civil Rights Office at Requests should be made as early as possible to ensure the State has an opportunity to address the accommodation.

De acuerdo con el Título VI de la Ley de Derechos Civiles de 1964, la Ley de Estadounidenses con Discapacidades (ADA por sus siglas en inglés) y otras normas y leyes antidiscriminatorias, el Departamento de Transporte de Arizona (ADOT) no discrimina por motivos de raza, color, origen nacional, sexo, edad o discapacidad. Las personas que requieran asistencia (dentro de lo razonable) ya sea por el idioma o discapacidad deben ponerse en contacto con la Oficina de Derechos Civiles de ADOT en Las solicitudes deben hacerse lo más antes posible para asegurar que el Estado tenga la oportunidad de hacer los arreglos necesarios.