Commercial Driver License

License Information


Hazardous Materials Endorsement

To apply for a hazardous materials endorsement (HME), follow these steps:

Apply to the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) with all of the information requested on the Driver License Hazardous Materials Endorsement Application to be submitted either:

TSA will not accept handwritten HME applications.

After completing the road/skills tests, you may choose to receive a CDL without the HME for use until TSA approval is received.

NOTE: All first-time HME applicants must complete the TSA background record check (BRC) before the HME is issued on the credential. (The HME is not allowed on a CDL permit.)

After receiving a TSA BRC approval letter, you will return to a CDL office for issuance of the HME.

The BRC is valid for five years from the date of completion. MVD will notify you 60 days before the expiration of the BRC, not the expiration of your license. In some instances the dates of expiration of the license and the BRC will not match.

For more information on HMEs and TSA BRCs, please see the HazMat and Background Checks FAQ.

Bus and School Bus Driver Endorsements

New applicants must take the CDL test in a bus or a school bus to obtain a passenger and/or school bus endorsement. School bus drivers must have both the passenger (P) and school bus (S) endorsements to operate a school bus.

If you are an existing CDL holder who wishes to add a passenger bus, school bus or both endorsements to a current CDL, you must obtain a CDL instruction permit with the passenger and/or school bus endorsement for the class of bus you intend to drive (fees for the class of bus will apply).

Once you are ready, you must then take a CDL pre-trip, basic controls, road and skills tests in the appropriate class of bus or school bus. (A $5 skills testing fee will be due at that time.)

NOTE: If you test in a passenger vehicle or school bus with a GVWR under 26,001 pounds, you will receive a restriction on your license. This restriction prohibits you from operating a passenger vehicle or school bus with a GVWR of 26,001 pounds and over.

The Arizona Ombudsman – Citizens Aide helps you resolve ongoing issues with State Agencies.

Civil Rights

Pursuant to Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and other nondiscrimination laws and authorities, ADOT does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age, or disability. Persons that require a reasonable accommodation based on language or disability should contact ADOT’s Civil Rights Office at Requests should be made as early as possible to ensure the State has an opportunity to address the accommodation.

De acuerdo con el Título VI de la Ley de Derechos Civiles de 1964, la Ley de Estadounidenses con Discapacidades (ADA por sus siglas en inglés) y otras normas y leyes antidiscriminatorias, el Departamento de Transporte de Arizona (ADOT) no discrimina por motivos de raza, color, origen nacional, sexo, edad o discapacidad. Las personas que requieran asistencia (dentro de lo razonable) ya sea por el idioma o discapacidad deben ponerse en contacto con la Oficina de Derechos Civiles de ADOT en Las solicitudes deben hacerse lo más antes posible para asegurar que el Estado tenga la oportunidad de hacer los arreglos necesarios.