Abandoned Vehicle Fees
If a vehicle is reported abandoned and goes through the abandoned vehicle process, the registered owner may be assessed a $500 fee if it is abandoned on private property and a $600 fee if abandoned on certain federal or state land. It is the responsibility of the vehicle's registered owner to either claim the vehicle or submit proper documentation to avoid being assessed an abandoned vehicle fee.
To help avoid a potential $500 abandoned vehicle fee:
- File a sold notice immediately if you sell, trade-in, donate, or otherwise transfer ownership or end a vehicle lease. This service is free.
- Follow up with the tow company if your vehicle is towed for any reason
One of the following documents may be used to potentially avoid or waive the fee:
- Proof of sold notice or bill of sale prior to the vehicle being abandoned
- Insurance cancellation due to the vehicle being sold
- Trade-in agreement or proof of sale to a dealer
- If the vehicle is reported stolen, a copy of the police report
Fees must be paid in full.
If an Abandoned Vehicle Notification was received and there’s a lien holder on your vehicle, you’re still responsible for retrieving your vehicle, unless proof is provided that the vehicle has been repossessed, filed in bankruptcy or sold/transferred to another person before the day of abandonment
If you receive an Abandoned Vehicle Notice, you may contact the applicant and offer to surrender the title. If the applicant accepts the title and it is properly transferred, the abandoned vehicle process will be discontinued and the fee will be waived.
* A NOTICE OF VEHICLE SALE HAS BEEN RECEIVED AND RECORDED INDICATING THAT THE VEHICLE WAS
TRANSFERRED OR ASSIGNED TO ANOTHER PERSON PRIOR TO THE DAY OF ABANDONMENT. THE ADDITIONAL FEE
LIABILITY DOES NOT APPLY.
If the above message is on the bottom of the Abandoned Vehicle Notification, you will not be assessed the abandoned vehicle fee. The person who purchased the vehicle didn’t transfer the title out of the seller’s name. This is a courtesy notice.