Monday, December 11, 2017

Highway History: State Route 68, from gold mining to casinos

Mohave County Union Pass road

By Caroline Carpenter / ADOT Communications

An old wagon road used by early settlers and gold miners is what we now call State Route 68. SR 68, between Bullhead City to Kingman, has been designated a historic highway and was first added to the state highway system in 1941. Davis Dam

Portions of the 27-mile roadway were built so workers could get from Kingman to the site of Davis Dam. The Davis Dam project was authorized in 1941 and contracts were awarded, but work was stopped when World War II began. Work on the dam began again in 1946 and was finally finished in 1950.

Today SR 68 is often used to by those headed to the casinos of Laughlin, Nevada, or recreationalists at Lake Mohave.

Fifteen years ago, ADOT completed a major upgrade to SR 68, widening almost 14 miles to four-lane divided highway, including the grade between Bullhead City and Golden Valley.
Posted by Caroline Carpenter   |  Labels:  Bullhead-City, highway, History, Kingman, SR-68


The Arizona Ombudsman – Citizens Aide helps you resolve ongoing issues with State Agencies.

Civil Rights

Pursuant to Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and other nondiscrimination laws and authorities, ADOT does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age, or disability. Persons that require a reasonable accommodation based on language or disability should contact ADOT’s Civil Rights Office at Requests should be made as early as possible to ensure the State has an opportunity to address the accommodation.

De acuerdo con el Título VI de la Ley de Derechos Civiles de 1964, la Ley de Estadounidenses con Discapacidades (ADA por sus siglas en inglés) y otras normas y leyes antidiscriminatorias, el Departamento de Transporte de Arizona (ADOT) no discrimina por motivos de raza, color, origen nacional, sexo, edad o discapacidad. Las personas que requieran asistencia (dentro de lo razonable) ya sea por el idioma o discapacidad deben ponerse en contacto con la Oficina de Derechos Civiles de ADOT en Las solicitudes deben hacerse lo más antes posible para asegurar que el Estado tenga la oportunidad de hacer los arreglos necesarios.