Media Center


ADOT News Release

For additional information:

ADOT Media Relations



State Route 64 reopens within Grand Canyon National Park

October 12, 2013
PHOENIX – The stretch of State Route 64 in Grand Canyon National Park has reopened to through traffic. On Friday, Governor Jan Brewer negotiated an agreement with the U.S. Department of Interior to open the park for at least the next week despite the federal government shutdown.

The 30-mile-long section of SR 64, which provides access to the popular South Rim, within Grand Canyon National Park is owned and operated by the federal government. Travelers can reach the North Rim by taking SR 67, which has not yet closed for the winter season.

Aditionally, the Glen Canyon National Recreation Area near Page will reopen at noon today after Utah reached an agreement with the federal government to open national parks in the state.

For the most current information about highway closures and restrictions statewide, visit ADOT’s Travel Information Site at, follow ADOT on Twitter (@ArizonaDOT) or call 5-1-1.

The Arizona Ombudsman – Citizens Aide helps citizens to resolve ongoing issues with State Agencies.

Civil RightsTitle VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, and the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)

Pursuant to Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, and the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), ADOT does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, sex or disability. Persons that require a reasonable accommodation based on language or disability should contact ADOT’s Civil Rights Office at Requests should be made as early as possible to ensure the State has an opportunity to address the accommodation.

De acuerdo con el título VI de la Ley de Derechos Civiles de 1964 y la Ley de Estadounidenses con Discapacidades (ADA por sus siglas en inglés), el Departamento de Transporte de Arizona (ADOT por sus siglas en inglés) no discrimina por raza, color, nacionalidad, edad, género o discapacidad.  Personas que requieren asistencia (dentro de lo razonable) ya sea por el idioma o por discapacidad deben ponerse en contacto con la Oficina de Derechos Civiles en Las solicitudes deben hacerse lo más pronto posible para asegurar que el equipo encargado del proyecto tenga la oportunidad de hacer los arreglos necesarios.