2018 Awards will be presented at the 2019 Roads and Streets Conference
The award, established in 2005, recognizes partnership teams who
- demonstrate a high degree of achievement through the practice of partnering principles.
- display the application of the partnering processes related to the transportation industry.
The 2018 Arizona Transportation Partnering Excellence Awards are sponsored by Arizona Department of Transportation, Associated General Contractors Arizona Chapter, Arizona Public Works Association, American Council of Engineering Companies, Associated Minority Contractors of Arizona, Arizona Transportation Builders Association, Federal Highway Administration and Maricopa County Department of Transportation.
What is partnering?
Partnering is defined as "a formal process of collaborative teamwork to achieve measurable results through agreements and productive working relationships."
A creative and innovative "edge" is critical to business success. Time and resources are valuable. Successful partnerships reduce delays, develop positive and effective relationships and find solutions to problems as early as possible.
The formal partnering process begins with a team charter that includes a mission, goals and guidelines. An issue resolution process is developed along with action plans, evaluation methods, meeting follow-up and reporting. Together, all of these activities contribute to a successful partnership and ultimately, a great product.
Why should your project team apply for this award?
Any team that applies for this prestigious award will be assessed for their current practices and relationships — an extremely valuable learning opportunity!
In addition to being honored at the 2019 Roads and Streets Conference the winners will
- receive recognition from industry partners.
- be recognized as leaders in partnering excellence.
- receive feedback regarding strengths and opportunities that will drive improved effectiveness.
- encompass the opportunity to network with peers in the industry who are committed to partnering excellence.
- know they have contributed to continuous improvement of partnering as a business practice.
What are the award categories?
Eligible projects include those that have utilized a formal partnering process and will be able to show a relationship to transportation.
- Roadway (under $5M; $5M-$25M; over $25M): Project must include one or more of the following: highways / state routes, freeways, roads and streets including reconstruction and expansion or widening of existing facilities, bridges, interchanges, overpasses and road tunnels.
- Other Transportation Infrastructure (under $5M; $5M-$25M; over $25M): Project must include one or more of the following: airport, bus / transit / rest areas, tunnels other than roadway, ports of entry, rail, ITS, nonrecreational multiuse paths and pedestrian bridges.
- Development/Design: Project must include one or more of the following: scoping documents, environmental documents, design documents, plans completed to percent stage required in contract.
- General Partnerships: Multiple organizations using formal partnering agreements to achieve positive results, evidenced by one or two key measure related to a work environment that supports the transportation industry. This could include public and agency partnerships among and between transportation departments, other local, state and federal agencies, counties, tribes and possibly even nongovernmental organizations such as utilities or private stakeholders. Also included are partnerships among and between members and work units of the same organization and can be internal or external.
What projects are eligible?
- Construction: Transportation-related construction projects that are substantially complete and ready for use by October 15, 2018
- Nonconstruction: Documents and plans completed to percent stage required by the contract
- General Partnerships: Purpose, intent, goals and/or objectives of the partnership that have been substantially met
When are the award deadlines?
Award application form is due November 19, 2018.
Award recipients will be notified in February 2019.
For more information, please see complete award and application guidelines.