Vehicle Services

Military Personnel

Nonresident Exemptions

If applying for or renewing an exemption, the registration renewal must be made by mail or in person at an MVD or Authorized Third Party office

Active-duty military personnel or public health service (PHS) officers stationed in Arizona who are not Arizona residents are not required to pay the vehicle license tax portion of the annual vehicle registration.

To register a vehicle, nonresident active-duty military personnel must

  1. provide an affidavit for vehicle license tax exemption of nonresident service personnel issued and certified by the commanding officer.
  2. meet all applicable vehicle emissions test requirements.
  3. pay a registration fee and if applicable, commercial registration and weight fees, motor carrier fees and/or any late registration penalty fees that may apply.

When the nonresident service member is assigned overseas and the spouse or dependent must remain in Arizona, the exemption still applies if the nonresident service person's name appears on the vehicle title. The nonresident service person must have been on military assignment in Arizona at the time the overseas orders were issued.

This applies only to vehicles owned or leased by the applicant and is reduced by the number of registered owners on the vehicle (Example: If husband and wife are both registered owners of the vehicle and only one is active duty, then 50 percent of the vehicle license tax is due). A new exemption affidavit must be submitted each year.

Civil RightsTitle VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, and the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)