Mission and Vision
The Arizona Department of Transportation (ADOT) is a multimodal transportation agency serving one of the fastest-growing areas of the country. ADOT is responsible for planning, building and operating a complex highway system in addition to building and maintaining bridges and the Grand Canyon Airport. A major component of the organization is the Motor Vehicle Division, which provides title, registration and driver-license services to the general public throughout the state of Arizona.
ADOT is funded by the people who purchase fuel, drive or own private and commercial vehicles, or use transportation services. To build and operate the state’s transportation systems, individuals and businesses invest money through fuel taxes, motor-carrier fees and vehicle title, registration and license fees. About 80 percent of the money ADOT collects returns to the private sector in the form of paychecks and payment for transportation services and materials.
Transportation puts people to work building projects. Projects, in turn, deliver goods and services that spur economic development and attract jobs to the state, creating a cycle of economic benefit.
We at ADOT strive to deliver a range of transportation projects successfully in an economic environment with fewer employees and declining resources. Like you, we are trying to do more with less as we sharpen our focus on results for Arizona.
We continue to examine diverse, integrated transportation options for moving people and goods to create jobs and deliver economic and quality-of-life benefits for Arizona residents and businesses. ADOT’s role is to assist policymakers by providing objective information that helps them decide the best solutions to connect communities across Arizona with the full range of resources available.
Our Legacy Vision
Creating a transportation system for Arizona that improves the quality of life.
To provide a safe, efficient, cost-effective transportation system.
- Accountability: We take responsibility for our actions.
- Integrity: We hold ourselves to the highest ethical and professional standards.
- Respect: We treat everyone with respect and dignity.
- Advance and protect the transportation system. To ensure that the existing public investment in the transportation system is maintained to improve mobility and safety through better operations, management and innovation.
- Make transportation personal. To build an understanding by the public, stakeholders and employees about how Arizona's quality of life is directly impacted by an efficient and safe transportation system and that our role in delivering that system is tremendously important.
- Create a high-performing organization. Build a nimble organization by evaluating, adapting supporting and allocating funding and resources. Every group, team and individual is dedicated to quality services to stakeholders and each other.
Our Strategic Focus Areas
- Safety: Improve safety throughout the transportation system and within ADOT.
- Ensure safe and qualified drivers and vehicles on the road.
- Reduce fatalities and injuries.
- Reduce lost work days.
- Workforce Development: Support, engage and empower our employees as fundamental to achieving a high-performing organization.
- Develop employee compensation strategies.
- Invest in the development of our people.
- Infrastructure Health: Target resource support and allocation to ensure organization and system efficiency.
- Improve all computing capabilities and bandwidth within ADOT.
- Develop a comprehensive data management program.
- Develop a comprehensive performance mechanism to evaluate the overall transportation system health.
- Innovation: Challenge the organization to yield more efficient, effective and transformational change.
- Evaluate all functions, facilities and processes to determine new approaches and efficiencies to ensure appropriating staffing levels and functions.
- Challenge and incentivize to identify savings and efficiencies.
- Financial Resources: Cross-department focus on prioritizing funding allocations, pursuing cost savings through efficiency improvements and exploring innovative revenue sources.
- Maximize existing agency financial resources.
- Pursue sustainable funding solutions.