SR 77 Construction north of Tucson Nov. 19-29
Motorists traveling on SR 77 (Oracle Road), north of Oro Valley to Catalina, should be aware of the following traffic restrictions as the Arizona Department of Transportation has shifted traffic to the north- and southbound lanes of SR 77. Traffic is restricted to two through lanes in each direction while the median and interior lane is constructed.
Construction crews will not be working Thursday (Nov. 26) through Sunday (Nov. 29) in observance of the Thanksgiving Day holiday. Work will resume Monday (Nov. 30).
The work is part of a project to widen the roadway between Tangerine Road and the Pinal County line.
- SR 77 will be narrowed to one lane between Tangerine Road and Eagle Crest Ranch Boulevard on Sunday (Nov. 22) to Tuesday (Nov. 23) from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m. for paving medians.
- All medians between Tangerine Road and Eagle Crest Ranch Boulevard are closed; however, turning movements will be allowed.
- The median turning lanes accessing the Santa Catalina Church and the Catalina transfer station from SR 77 are closed around the clock through the end of month Monday (Nov. 30) for construction of the median.
North- and southbound SR 77 between Wilds Road and Eagle Crest Ranch Boulevard have been shifted to the newly paved lanes to allow crews to work on the median.
- The shared-use median is closed with the exception of turning movements at the turn bays.
- U-turns are allowed at each turn bay with the exception of the Santa Catalina Church and Catalina transfer station.
- Left turns are restricted coming out of most business driveways.
Law enforcement will be monitoring this area as the speed limit has been reduced as follows:
- 40 mph from Tangerine Road to Rancho Vistoso Boulevard
- 35 mph from Rancho Vistoso Boulevard to Eagle Crest Ranch Boulevard
The north- and southbound SR 77 shoulders between Tangerine Road and Eagle Crest Ranch Boulevard are closed through the remainder of the project.
Drivers, cyclists and pedestrian are urged to obey traffic control, stay away from where crews are working and be cautious while traveling through the work zone, especially in the detour area as shoulders will be significantly restricted.
In addition, please be aware of the following traffic control:
- Two lanes of travel in each direction will remain open through the work zone during the day.
- Additional lane restrictions will occur throughout the work boundaries during nighttime operations as needed.
- Cyclists will need to merge safely into the traffic lane during shoulder closures.
ADOT works to inform the public about planned roadway restrictions, but there is a possibility that unscheduled closures or restrictions may occur due to weather or equipment issues.
Drivers are reminded to share the road, be cautious and slow down while traveling through the work zone.
For more information about this project, please contact Paki Rico by calling 520.388.4233 or emailing [email protected].