ADOT is beginning its two and one-half year construction project that will widen the Loop 101 from Shea Boulevard to the Loop 202 (Red Mountain Freeway) interchange.The project will include these features:
- An additional travel lane southbound from Shea Boulevard to McKellips Road
- An additional travel lane northbound from McDowell Road to Shea Boulevard
- Two additional travel lanes from the northbound Loop 101 / Loop 202 interchange entrance ramp to McDowell Road
- Chaparral Road traffic-interchange improvements
- A quieter and smoother driving experience due to the use of rubberized asphalt on the widened roadway surface
Construction will begin early August 2014 and is expected to be completed late 2016. Full/partial freeway and ramp closures are expected to occur during the project. The Loop 101 (Pima Freeway) project will consist of several phases of construction along the corridor, beginning and concluding at different times during the project. As a result, motorists and the public should expect periods of active construction zones on Loop 101 from Shea Boulevard to Loop 202 (Santan Freeway).
ADOT will provide advance notification of full closures or significant restrictions that affect drivers or the community, as well as information about detour routes. For detailed information on weekly construction-related closures and restrictions, check the Traffic Alerts