Weekend Freeway Travel Advisory
No state highway closures over Thanksgiving weekend
PHOENIX – In an effort to help holiday travelers and promote safety, the Arizona Department of Transportation says no construction closures are scheduled along Phoenix-area freeways or state highways over the Thanksgiving weekend. No closures will be scheduled between Wednesday afternoon and early Monday morning, Dec. 1.
Drivers who have plans to travel over the weekend are urged to focus on safety. Motorists should focus on staying alert and obeying speed limits, especially in areas where existing work zones are in place.
ADOT, the Department of Public Safety and the Governor's Office of Highway Safety ask motorists to follow these safe-driving tips:
- Get a good night's rest before heading out on a trip.
- Check your vehicle, including tire pressure, fluid levels and the condition of engine belts.
- Buckle up and double-check child safety seats.
- Never drive while impaired. Arrange for a designated driver ahead of time.
- Obey speed limits, be patient and avoid distractions. Don't text while driving.
- Be prepared for unscheduled closures due to accidents. Have an emergency preparedness kit that includes extra clothes, blankets, flashlights, snack foods and drinking water.
For the latest highway conditions across Arizona, travelers can visit ADOT's Travel Information site at az511.gov or call 511 (outside Arizona call 888.411.ROAD). ADOT's public information line for state highway conditions is 602.712.6513. You can also track closures and other highway conditions at Twitter.com/ArizonaDOT.
Additional information about winter driving and items to include in an emergency preparedness kit can be found at here.