Weekend Freeway Travel Advisory
No construction closures along Valley Freeways over Memorial Day weekend
PHOENIX – Drivers will not face any construction-related closures along freeways in the Phoenix area over the Memorial Day weekend.
The Arizona Department of Transportation and its contractors will not schedule closures along Valley freeways or other state-maintained highways from Friday afternoon through late Monday night, May 29.
Drivers are urged to focus on safe driving, including slowing down and using extra caution in existing work zones across the state. Arizona’s “Stay Alert – Stay Alive” highway safety recommendations include:
- Check vehicles, including tire pressure, belts and fluid levels
- Get plenty of rest before driving – drowsy driving is unsafe
- Never drive while impaired – arrange for a designated driver in advance
- Allow extra travel time and be prepared for unscheduled closures
- Buckle up and obey speed limits
- Avoid distractions – don’t text while driving
- Pack extra supplies, including drinking water and snack foods
Check on highway conditions before you get behind the wheel by visiting ADOT’s Travel Information site at az511.gov or calling 511. Updates also are available on ADOT’s Twitter feed @ArizonaDOT.