Central District Projects
Loop 202 (South Mountain Freeway)
I-10 (Papago Freeway) between 75th and 43rd avenues and south to Lower Buckeye Road
Construction Alerts and Notices
To build the interchange connecting the South Mountain Freeway to the I-10 Papago Freeway, I-10 ramps between 67th and 51st avenues will be reconstructed. This will require the ramps to be closed for one to two months. Weekend closures of I-10 will also be necessary.
What to Expect:
I-10 Weekend Closures
- Westbound I-10 closed between 43rd and 51st avenues from 7 p.m. Friday, January 26 to 5 a.m. Monday, January 29
- Detour: 43rd Avenue to Van Buren Street or McDowell Road. Traffic reenters I-10 at 59th Avenue
- Eastbound I-10 closed between 51st and 43rd avenues from 7 p.m. Friday, February 2 to 5 a.m. Monday, February 5
- Detour: 51st Avenue to Van Buren Street or McDowell Road. Traffic reenters I-10 at 35th Avenue
- I-10 westbound off-ramp at 51st Avenue closed from Saturday, January 27 to Saturday, March 3
- I-10 eastbound on-ramp at 51st Avenue closed from Saturday, February 10 to Saturday, March 17
- I-10 eastbound off-ramp at 67th Avenue will be closed in mid-February or early March for up to 40 days.
Dates and times are subject to change. Ramp closures are 24 hours a day, 7 days a week during the time period indicated above. Please visit SouthMountainFreeway.com and AZ511 before traveling on I-10. Commuters should
expect continued delays and consider using alternate routes, including Valley Metro express bus routes. Please visit SharetheRide.com for information on car or vanpools.
Roosevelt Street Closed December 13 - 14
As part of the construction of the Loop 202 South Mountain Freeway / I-10 interchange, Roosevelt Street will be closed nightly between 59th and 57th avenues to allow crews to continue bridge work. Please use alternate routes.
What to Expect:
- Roosevelt Street will be closed between 59th and 57th avenues
- Barricades will be set up at 7 p.m. nightly and removed by 5 a.m. daily
- Pumping equipment on site to place the concrete
- Water trucks for dust mitigation
- For safety, back-up alarms and jobsite
lighting will be in use
Late-2017 to Early-2018 Construction Schedule (Anticipated)
To complete the work currently scheduled through mid-2018, the following street and freeway restrictions and closures are anticipated. Actual dates and times of restrictions and closures will be published in the weekly traffic alerts.
- Periodic weekend and night closures of I-10 at 59th Avenue to complete straddle bents
- Extended weekend closures of I-10 to move barriers and shift traffic lanes to the center
- Permanent closure of 59th Avenue ramps after access roads open
- Traffic shift on Van Buren Street to the south to enable construction of the north half of the freeway bridge over Van Buren Street
To receive advance notice of upcoming traffic restrictions, sign-up for weekly traffic alerts.
Residents, business owners, schools and homeowner’s associations who may be directly impacted by construction will receive additional notices.