Frequently Asked Questions

Vehicle Services

Special Plates and Placards

I bought a vehicle and have a temporary paper plate. Can I order a special plate now?

No, you must wait until you receive your metal plate in the mail; then you may order online, by mail or in an MVD or authorized third-party office.

I ordered a plate when I renewed my registration online, so where is my new plate?

You will first receive a registration and tab with your current plate number for use until you receive the new plate by mail in four to six weeks. The new plate will come with a new tab and registration.

I received my new plates in the mail. Why is there no tab or registration?

The new tab and registration were enclosed the window portion of the envelope that contained the plates.

How many plates will I receive

Some plates are issued in pairs (front and back of the vehicle) and some are issued as a single plate, depending on the plate type. See our Plates and Placards page. If your plate is personalized, two plates will be issued for full-size and one for small-size, regardless of the plate type.

Does any part of my special plate fee go to a charitable organization?

Yes. For many plates, $17 of the annual special plate fee is a tax-deductible charitable donation.

Can I apply for a special plate for a vehicle registered out of state?

No, Arizona special plates are for Arizona-registered vehicles only.

May I purchase a special plate for someone as a gift?

Yes, as long as the vehicle is registered in Arizona and the eligibility requirements are met.

Can I purchase a special plate for my motorcycle or golf cart?

Only for these plate types:

  • Regular
  • Military Support / Freedom
  • Purple Heart and Veteran

A Historic Vehicle plate may be ordered for a motorcycle.

Can I order a veteran plate online?

No, you can order it by mail or by visiting any MVD or authorized third-party office. You must complete a Special Plate Application and provide the required documentation indicated on the application.

Can I personalize my special plate?

Many can be personalized for an additional annual personalization fee of $25. See our Plates and Placards page.

Is there a limit to the number of characters on my personalized plate?

The maximum number of characters varies. See our Plates and Placards page.

What if my personalize plate is damaged or lost?

You may request a remake of your personalized plate by visiting any MVD or authorized third-party office or mailing in a Special Plate Application. Write on the application that you are requesting a remake for a lost or damaged plate. The fee is $5 (plus postage/handling, if mailed, see Plates and Placards).

Can I keep my personalized plate number but change the plate type?

Yes. If you wish to keep the same plate number, you must visit any MVD or authorized third-party office. You will be charged the usual special plate fee for the new plate type. You can not make the change online.

Can I order my special plate with a disability symbol?

Many special plates offer the disability symbol option for both standard and personalized. See our Plate Selections page for more information. On a personalized plate, the available number of characters is reduced by one to accommodate for the disability symbol.

Is there an additional charge for the disability symbol on a special plate?

There is no extra fee charged for the disability symbol. You must pay the usual special plate fee and/or personalization fee charged for that plate type.

Can I order a plate with a disability symbol online?

No. You must submit a Disability-Hearing Impaired Plate/Placard application by mail or at any MVD or authorized third-party office. If you are adding the disability symbol to a special plate, then you must also complete a Special Plate Application.

Can I add a disability symbol to the personalized plate that I have now?

You may add the disability symbol to your existing plate at no extra charge. You may be charged any usual special plate and personalization fees due for that plate type. However, the disability symbol is considered one character. So, if you already have the maximum number of characters for the plate type, then the symbol can not be added.

Is there a fee for disability placard or plate?

There is no fee for a disability placard. There is also no extra charge to add a disability symbol to a special plate; you only pay the usual fee for that special plate.

I already have a disability placard. Can I get another one?

Yes, in some cases. You must request the additional placard in writing and state the reason why the additional placard is needed.

Energy Efficient Plates

How do I participate in the Energy Efficient Plate pilot program?

Arizona's "Energy Efficient Pilot Program" has reached the maximum limit of 10,000 special license plates issued. There are no plates available at this time. Thank you for your interest in the program.

What vehicles are eligible?

All model years of these vehicles are eligible:

  • Honda Civic Hybrid
  • Honda Insight
  • Toyota Prius

These vehicles meet the Tier II emission levels established under the Clean Air Act (42 U.S.C. 7521) and achieve not less than a 45 percent increase in combined city-highway fuel economy.

Why is my hybrid vehicle not eligible for this pilot program?

Only vehicle make/models that met the standards at the start of the program in 2007 are eligible. Since this is a continuation of the pilot program and not a new program, no additional vehicle models can be included. However, all model years of qualifying vehicles are eligible.

What is the benefit of participating in the pilot program?

The benefit of participating in the pilot program is unrestricted access to the High Occupancy Vehicle (HOV), or "carpool," lanes in Arizona regardless of the number of passengers.

Will my hybrid vehicle be eligible for a reduced vehicle license tax?

No. Only alternative fuel powered vehicles are eligible for the reduced vehicle license tax.

How will law enforcement know I am eligible to drive in the HOV lane?

Approved applicants will receive an Energy Efficient plate with the "Hybrid" graphic.

Does this pilot program include disability plates?

Yes. In addition to the Energy Efficient Plate Application you must submit a Disability-Hearing Impaired Plate/Placard Application. If one is already on file, you will need to provide your current disability plate or placard number on the Energy Efficient Plate Application.

Can I personalize my Energy Efficient plate?

No. Due to the limited quantity available for this pilot program, these plates can not be personalized.

If I sell my energy-efficient vehicle, can I transfer my energy efficient plate?

Yes, but only to another qualifying energy-efficient vehicle that I own.

What happens when the pilot program ends?

If the program does not become permanent, the Energy Efficient plates will be recalled and you will receive a no-fee replacement plate.