Vehicle Services

Abandoned Vehicles

Abandoned Vehicle Fees

Fee Procedure

If a vehicle is reported abandoned and goes through the abandoned vehicle process, the registered owner may be assessed a $500 fee if it is abandoned on private property and a $600 fee if abandoned on certain federal or state land. It is the responsibility of the vehicle's registered owner to either claim the vehicle or submit proper documentation to avoid being assessed an abandoned vehicle fee.

To help avoid a potential $500 abandoned vehicle fee:

  • File a sold notice immediately if you sell, trade-in, donate, or otherwise transfer ownership or end a vehicle lease. This service is free.
  • Follow up with the tow company if your vehicle is towed for any reason

One of the following documents may be used to potentially avoid or waive the fee:

  • Proof of sold notice or bill of sale prior to the vehicle being abandoned
  • Insurance cancellation due to the vehicle being sold
  • Trade-in agreement or proof of sale to a dealer
  • If the vehicle is reported stolen, a copy of the police report
Civil RightsTitle VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, and the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)

Pursuant to Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, and the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), ADOT does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, sex or disability. Persons that require a reasonable accommodation based on language or disability should contact ADOT’s Civil Rights Office at [email protected]. Requests should be made as early as possible to ensure the State has an opportunity to address the accommodation.

De acuerdo con el título VI de la Ley de Derechos Civiles de 1964 y la Ley de Estadounidenses con Discapacidades (ADA por sus siglas en inglés), el Departamento de Transporte de Arizona (ADOT por sus siglas en inglés) no discrimina por raza, color, nacionalidad, edad, género o discapacidad.  Personas que requieren asistencia (dentro de lo razonable) ya sea por el idioma o por discapacidad deben ponerse en contacto con la Oficina de Derechos Civiles en [email protected]. Las solicitudes deben hacerse lo más pronto posible para asegurar que el equipo encargado del proyecto tenga la oportunidad de hacer los arreglos necesarios.