Abandoned Vehicle Fees
If a vehicle is reported abandoned and goes through the abandoned vehicle process, the registered owner may be assessed a $500 fee if it is abandoned on private property and a $600 fee if abandoned on certain federal or state land. It is the responsibility of the vehicle's registered owner to either claim the vehicle or submit proper documentation to avoid being assessed an abandoned vehicle fee.
To help avoid a potential $500 abandoned vehicle fee:
- File a sold notice immediately if you sell, trade-in, donate, or otherwise transfer ownership or end a vehicle lease. This service is free.
- Follow up with the tow company if your vehicle is towed for any reason
One of the following documents may be used to potentially avoid or waive the fee:
- Proof of sold notice or bill of sale prior to the vehicle being abandoned
- Insurance cancellation due to the vehicle being sold
- Trade-in agreement or proof of sale to a dealer
- If the vehicle is reported stolen, a copy of the police report