Trailers registrations are determined by whether or not the trailer will be used for commercial purposes, and on the weight of the trailer (both as certified by the owner). A trailer may be eligible for a regular registration (one, two or five year) or a permanent registration.
Permanent registration will be issued for the following:
- Noncommercial trailers with a declared gross vehicle weight (GVW) of 10,000 lbs or less (one-time $125 registration fee, reduced to $75 if converting a current commercial trailer registration to noncommercial)
- Trailers with a declared GVW of more than 10,000 lbs (one-time $800 registration fee). If previously registered in another state and the model year of the trailer is less than six years old (fee is reduced to $500), if at least six years old (fee is reduced to $195).
Permanent registration is a one-time fee and a PERM license plate tab is issued. There is no annual billing for vehicle license tax or registration fees. If the trailer has a special plate, only the fee for the plate will be billed annually.
The following are not eligible for permanent registration:
- Travel trailer or camper/tent trailer
- Commercial trailer with declared GVW of 10,000 pounds or less
- Historic trailer that is designed for commercial use, but is not used for commercial purposes