The Arizona Department of Transportation, in conjunction with Pima County and the Federal Highway Administration, is currently designing a proposed widened roadway along State Route 86 (also referred to as Ajo Highway) between Valencia Road and Kinney Road. The purpose of the project is to enhance safety and traffic flow along this segment of SR 86 and to meet current and future traffic needs.
State Route 86, between Valencia Road and Kinney Road in Tucson, is experiencing a steady volume in commuter traffic due to ongoing residential development in the area and existing employment destinations in Tucson.
Additionally, SR 86 serves as a regional transportation route between Tucson and south-central Arizona. The state highway provides access to the Tohono O'odham Nation and is widely used to reach the popular tourist destination in Mexico called Puerto Peñasco, also known as Rocky Point.
The SR 86 Valencia Road to Kinney Road project's design phase began in October 2011 and is expected to last approximately 18 months. The new design will be consistent with the Final Design Concept Report and Environmental Assessment which was finalized in the summer of 2010. Proposed construction is expected to begin in spring 2014.
PROPOSED IMPROVEMENTS INCLUDE:
- widening the roadway to two lanes in each direction from Valencia Road to Kinney Road.
- realigning Camino Verde, Tucson Estates Parkway and Old Ajo Highway.
- adding a median along SR 86 similar to the existing median on SR 86 east of Kinney Road.
- improving connections to local access streets.
- adding ADA ramps and pushbuttons at the SR 86 and Kinney Road intersection.
- installing new overhead message signs on SR 86 west and east of Valencia Road.
- enhancing drainage features, including two bridge additions.
- installing traffic signals at Valencia Road, San Joaquin Road, Camino Verde and Kinney Road.
- installing crosswalks, ADA ramps and pushbuttons at the east side of the SR 86 and Kinney Road intersection in the north-south direction.
- low-maintenance landscaping.