August 24, 2012
Work to repave a 16-mile segment of Interstate 15 is required this weekend due to rains earlier this week, according to the Arizona Department of Transportation.
Drivers can expect the following:
- Crews will be working from 5 p.m. to noon, Saturday, Aug. 25 through Wednesday, Aug. 29.
- The shift beginning at 5 p.m. Thursday, Aug. 30 will end no later than noon Friday, Aug. 31 to keep the highway clear for Labor Day weekend traffic
- Saturday and Sunday, Aug. 25-26 - the left lane of southbound I-15 through the Virgin River Gorge will be closed during work hours.
- Monday though Wednesday, Aug. 27-29 — the left lane of northbound I-15 will be closed during work hours.
- Thursday, Aug. 30 – the right lane of northbound I-15 north of Cedar Pocket will be closed during work hours.
- Work will resume at 11 p.m. Sept. 3.
The speed limit through the work zone will be reduced to 45 mph.
The work zone will be clearly marked by temporary barricades and signage. ADOT advises drivers to allow additional time to reach their destinations and to proceed through the work zone with caution, comply with the reduced speed limit, and be alert for construction equipment and personnel.
The $11.6 million project, which is scheduled for completion in October, includes removal of a layer of the existing pavement and repaving the roadway from the Virgin River Gorge to the Utah State line (mileposts 13-29).
ADOT works to inform the public about planned highway restrictions, but there is a possibility that unscheduled closures or restrictions may occur. Weather can also affect a project schedule. To stay up-to-date with the latest highway conditions around the state, visit the ADOT Traveler Information Center at www.az511.gov or call 5-1-1.
For more information about this project please visit www.azdot.gov/statewide or contact Mackenzie Kirby, Flagstaff District Senior Community Relations Officer, at 928.779.7554. Local media should contact the ADOT Public Information Office at 1.800.949.8057. Visit us on facebook or our web site for more information about ADOT. For more information about ADOT projects and programs across Arizona see the agency's latest blog posts.