April 9, 2012
Motorists traveling on Interstate 10 near Benson should plan for brief delays at the State Route 90 traffic interchange beginning later this week as the Arizona Department of Transportation opens newly constructed eastbound lanes and pours concrete on the bridge deck for a new westbound overpass.
Here are the travel restrictions scheduled for the period between Thursday (April 12) and Monday (April 16):
- ADOT crews will intermittently close the eastbound I-10 lanes from 6 a.m. until 6 p.m. Thursday (April 12) to allow crews to stripe the new lanes and move traffic from the old interstate lanes onto the new ones. Motorists are advised to obey posted speed limits in the work area and watch for construction vehicles and personnel.
- Starting at 6 p.m. Friday (April 13) ADOT will detour all westbound I-10 traffic off the interstate at the SR 90 exit (Exit 302) and then back onto I-10 on the other side of the traffic interchange to allow crews to pour concrete for the new overpass bridge that is being constructed. This detour is scheduled to remain in effect around-the-clock until 6 a.m. Sunday (April 15).
- State Route 90 will be closed in both directions at the junction with I-10 from 6 p.m. Friday (April 13) until 6 a.m. Saturday (April 14) to ensure the safety of motorists during the bridge construction. During the SR 90 closure, northbound traffic will be detoured onto eastbound I-10 to exit at Ocotillo Road (Exit 304) where drivers can reenter westbound I-10 and exit at SR 90. Southbound SR 90 traffic will be detoured onto westbound I-10 to exit at Mescal Road/J-Six Ranch Road (Exit 297) where drivers can reenter eastbound I-10 and exit at SR 90.
- While the southbound lane of SR 90 is scheduled to be reopened at 6 a.m. Saturday (April 14), the northbound lane of SR 90 is scheduled to remain closed until 6 a.m. Sunday (April 15).
- The left lane of westbound I-10 will be closed from 6 a.m. Sunday (April 15) until 6 a.m. Monday (April 16) to allow the concrete on the westbound bridge to set. The speed limit on the westbound I-10 lane that remains open will be reduced to 45 mph.
The work is part of the on-going $27.6 million ADOT project to replace the Interstate 10 overpass at State Route 90, replace a segment of curving lanes west of the interchange and make improvements to SR 90.
ADOT advises drivers to proceed through the work zone with caution, slow down, and be alert for construction equipment and personnel.
ADOT works to inform the public about planned highway restrictions, but there is a possibility that unscheduled closures or restrictions may occur. Weather can also affect a project schedule. To stay up-to-date with the latest highway conditions around the state, visit the ADOT Traveler Information Center at www.az511.gov or call 5-1-1.
For more information about this project please visit www.azdot.gov/statewide or contact C.T. Revere, Safford District Senior Community Relations Officer at 520.705.3574. Local media should contact the ADOT Public Information Office at 1.800.949.8057. Visit us on facebook or our web site for more information about ADOT. For more information about ADOT projects and programs across Arizona see the agency's latest blog posts.