National Scenic Byway
This federal designation includes a roadway that should be a state-designated scenic road, accommodate bicycles and pedestrians, have a corridor management plan, and be as continuous as possible. In addition, the roadway must meet at least one intrinsic quality that is representative of the region (i.e., more than one state).
There are three National Scenic Byways in Arizona:
- Kaibab Plateau-North Rim National Scenic Byway
- Sky Island Parkway (Catalina Highway) National Scenic Byway
- Coronado Trail National Scenic Byway
This federal designation includes a roadway that meets the requirements and criteria of a National Scenic Byway and should accommodate tour buses, user facilities and community enforcement mechanisms. Furthermore, the roadway must meet at least two intrinsic qualities that are representative of the nation, and the roadway must be a destination unto itself.
There are two All-American Roads in Arizona:
- Red Rock All-American Road
- Historic Route 66 All-American Road (Topock to Ash Fork and Ash Fork to Lupton)