The Arizona Department of Transportation, in cooperation with the Department of Public Safety and the Overdimensional Permit Council, has completed final rulemaking on oversize and overweight special permits. The final rules are effective Sept. 7, 2013.
The Final Rules
- Promote uniform regulations adopted by the Policy Committee of the Western Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials (WASHTO).
- Codify items an oversize or overweight special permit applicant must provide to the Department at the time of application.
- Provide further clarification on existing processes for ensuring public safety.
- Expand the number of routes authorized for continuous travel subject to weekend, holiday and night transport restrictions or allowances.
- Provide a more complete list of metropolitan routes subject to curfew restrictions.
- Reduce the number of routes requiring law-enforcement escorts and the number of escort vehicles required for oversize vehicle or load transport on interstate routes.
- Enable the Department of Public Safety (DPS) to defer law-enforcement escort duties to any uniformed certified law enforcement officer in a fully marked patrol vehicle, if at least one officer is certified for enforcement of Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations.
- Require that DPS be notified at least 12 hours before transport begins, if law-enforcement escorts are needed.
- Include corrections to bridge heights, consolidation of route segments, addition of route segments previously omitted and elimination of height, length, and weight restrictions no longer applicable.
- Identify route segments no longer under the ADOT's jurisdiction.
- Define additional terms and update several outdated definitions, references and illustrations.
- Provide calculations applicable to tridem axle group configurations on certain routes.
- Incorporate organizational changes made within ADOT.
- Ensure conformity with the rulemaking style and format requirements of the Arizona Administrative Procedure Act, Secretary of State and Governor's Regulatory Review Council.
ADOT's Oversize and Overweight Special Permit rules are now available in Title 17, Arizona Administrative Code, Chapter 6.