New to AZ

Proof of Identification, Age and Authorized Presence

Arizona law requires that you submit proof that your presence in the United States is authorized under federal law. See Identification Requirements (or for a commercial driver license see CDL Documentation Requirements) for a listing of acceptable proof.

  • You need at least two accepted documents, and one must have a clear photo of you.
  • Alternatively, You need three documents listed with no photo
  • One identifying document must be listed under the Primary section.
  • All documents must be originals or copies, in English, certified by the issuing agency.
  • Provide additional documents needed for a name change (e.g., marriage certificate, divorce decree, etc.). You must first change your name with the Social Security Administration.

Requirements may change without notice.

Social Security Number

You are required by ARS 28-3158(D)(5) and 42 USC 405(c)(2)(C) to provide your Social Security number. It will be used to verify your identity and to comply with federal and state child support enforcement laws. It will not be used as your driver license number.

Parent/Guardian Approval

If you are under 18, your application for an instruction permit or driver license must be signed by at least one adult. The adult will be responsible for any negligence or willful misconduct when you are driving.

The application must be signed by

  • one natural parent if married to the other natural parent.
  • both natural parents if not married to each other, but share joint custody.
  • one natural parent with sole custody.

If neither parent is living, the application must be signed by

  • a legal guardian (proof required).
  • a foster parent living with the minor (proof required).
  • an employer of the minor (death certificates must be shown).

The signatures must be witnessed by an MVD agent or by a notary public. Signatures obtained for an instruction permit will be required again for a driver license.