Between 2008 and 2012, Planning Assistance Program funding was awarded to small or resource-poor elementary and middle schools, school districts, non-profit organizations, and communities.
The intent of the program was to provide the applicant with technical resources needed to plan and implement their own SRTS projects.
This is not a program to improve school pick-up/drop-off areas for the benefit of cars and buses; this is not a program to construct only sidewalks; this is not a program to construct only crosswalks. All of the benefits of the variety of programs and projects are for the safety and walking/biking convenience of elementary and middle school students.
For previously awarded applications, ADOT enlists the services of a consultant for you. Some of the following services include:
- Conduct site/needs assessments of school area.
- Develop school walking and bicycling route plans and maps.
- Recommend infrastructure solutions and locations.
- Recommend and provide guidance for non-infrastructure solutions.
- Develop school bicycle/pedestrian education, enforcement, encouragement programs.
- Conduct pre- and post- program/project evaluations.
- Conduct SRTS training sessions and community meetings.