Southwest and Southeast Projects
South Mountain Corridor Study
Project: Interstate 10 south of Phoenix with Interstate 10 west of the city, running east and west along Pecos Road and then turning north between 55th and 63rd Avenues.
Description: The proposed freeway would connect Interstate 10 south of Phoenix with Interstate 10 west of the city, following an east-west alignment along Pecos Road, through the western tip of South Mountain Park, then north to Interstate 10 between 55th and 63rd Avenues. The north-south leg of the freeway would pass near the community of Laveen and through agricultural lands within the city of Phoenix. After it passed South Mountain Park and turned to the east, the freeway would pass through the Ahwatukee/Foothills community, following an alignment along Pecos Road.
- Draft Environmental Impact Statement on preferred 55th Avenue alignment – Spring 2007
- Final Environmental Impact Statement – 2008
- Interstate 10 Widening Project (inside and outside widening)
Project: Widening of Interstate 10 from east of Sarival Avenue to Loop 101.
Description: The widening of I-10 is one of several projects proposed to improve regional traffic flow in the West Valley following the passage of Proposition 400. The funding for the first portion of this project was accelerated in April 2006, with the approval of the Maricopa Association of Governments’ Regional Council, which consists of all Valley mayors. The project consists for widening sections of Interstate 10 both inside the median and outside existing lanes.
- Final design – Loop 101 west of Estrella – Fall 2007
- Construction (outside widening) – Summer 2008
- Construction/Citrus to State Route 85 – Summer 2008
State Route 801 Study
Project: Study to provide another east/west route to help meet future traffic needs.
Description: The State Route 801 study will look at alternatives to find another east/west route to help relieve congestion from Interstate 10. The proposed freeway would connect the future Loop 303 and the future Loop 202 (South Mountain Freeway) south of Buckeye Road.
- Initial engineering and environmental reports – Winter 2009
- Final design - 2021
Loop 303 to State Route 801 Study
Project: Future Loop 303 Study from State Route 801 to Interstate 10.
Purpose: The study will look at alternatives to find a connection between the proposed State Route 801 Freeway and Interstate 10.
- Public information meeting – October 2006
- Initial Design Concept Report – January 2007
- Draft Environmental Assessment – March 2007
- Public hearing – March 2007
- Final Environmental Assessment – September 2007
- Final Design Concept Report – October 2007