State Route 51
Sign Rehabilitation Project
The Arizona Department of Transportation (ADOT) is upgrading highway signage and sign posts on a seven-mile stretch of SR 51 between Northern Avenue and Bell Road, and on the adjacent frontage and cross roads.
- Crews will remove and replace approximately 500 signs including directional, regulatory, warning and marker signs.
- The new, improved signs feature higher-reflective sheeting and larger fonts, making them easier for motorists to read.
What to expect:
- Work began April 24, 2012 and is scheduled for completion by fall 2012.
- Daytime crews will work 8-to-10 hour shifts beginning at 6:00 a.m.
- Overnight crews (if necessary) will work between approximately 10 p.m. and 5 a.m.
Possible Construction Impacts
ADOT and its contractor strive to minimize the impacts of projects on the local community and drivers.
- For your safety and the safety of other drivers and work crews, obey all work zone signage and speed limits!
- Watch for crews working on the shoulders of north- and southbound travel lanes.
- If travel lane restrictions or closures are necessary on the highway or cross streets, they will occur overnight or on weekends only:
- Necessary overnight restrictions or closures will occur between 10 p.m. and 5 a.m. Monday-Thursday;
- Necessary weekend restrictions or closures will occur between 11 p.m. Friday and 5 a.m. the following Monday;
- With the exception of a full freeway closure, crews will keep at least one travel lane open in each direction;
- If a full freeway closure is necessary, it will occur overnight or on a weekend as noted above. SR 51 will not be fully closed in both directions at the same time.
- Call the ADOT Project Hotline at 1-855-712-8530 or email with questions or comments.
- You can receive email updates about this project. When you are connected to the “Email Updates” page, follow the prompts (be sure to specify State Route 51).
ADOT appreciates your patience and cooperation while this work is under way.