State Route 51
Freeway Management System
The Arizona Department of Transportation (ADOT) is planning a Freeway Management System (FMS) project between Glendale Avenue and Loop 101.
ADOT's Freeway Management System uses the latest technologies to provide reliable travel times, improved safety, quicker response to incidents and enhanced information for drivers. This project includes:
- Closed circuit television safety cameras at three locations
- Bell Road
- Between Bell Road and Union Hills Drive, south of the pedestrian bridge
- Union Hills Drive
- Dynamic message signs
- Southbound - just south of Bell Road
- Northbound between Bell Road and Union Hills Drive, south of the pedestrian bridge
- Ramp meters at all of the on-ramps within the project limits
- Mainline detection system
- Traffic signal connections at Bell Road and Union Hills Drive
Construction is currently programmed for fiscal year 2012.