Freeway Management System Phase 6B
Loop 101: Princess Drive to Loop 202 Red Mountain
New DMS Sign at Indian School Road
Freeway Management System (FMS) Phase 6B was part of the HOV Lane project on the Loop 101 Pima Freeway between Princess Drive and the Loop 202 Red Mountain Freeway. The project was finished in January 2010. The FMS contract cost for the project was $7 million.
New FMS Equipment installed during the project included:
- 15 miles of fiber optic cable and conduit to provide communication links between the new FMS equipment and the ADOT Traffic Operations Center (TOC).
- 9 Dynamic Message Signs (DMS) that will allow critical and timely information to be communicated to the traveling public.
- 18 CCTV cameras allowing the TOC staff to actively monitor this section of the freeway to improve traffic safety and operations.
- 25 ramp meters that will increase the speed of the traffic on the freeway during congested periods and make merging onto the freeway during peak travel times much safer.
- Traffic detection loops were added every mile in both directions. These loops will assist ADOT staff in determining travel times, speeds of vehicles, and levels of service.
ADOT's Traffic Operations Center
|Project Map |
New CCTV Camera at Indian School Bend
TOC Control Room
For additional information please contact:
Reza Karimvand , P.E.
Assistant State Engineer
Arizona Department of Transportation
2302 West Durango Street
Phoenix, Arizona 85009-6452
Download this project in pdf format, which requires Adobe Reader to view.