Freeway Management System Phase 12A
Loop 101: I-17 to SR-51
New DMS Sign at 7th Ave
Freeway Management System (FMS) Project 12A included the installation of new FMS equipment on a seven mile stretch of the Loop 101 (Pima Freeway) from I-17 (Black Canyon Freeway) to SR51 (Piestewa Freeway). The project was finished in January 2010 and the FMS contract cost for the project was $4 million.
New FMS Equipment installed during the project included:
- 7 miles of fiber optic cable and conduit were installed to provide communication links between the new FMS equipment and ADOT’s Traffic Operation Center (TOC).
- 5 new Dynamic Message Signs (DMS) were added to this section of the freeway which will allow critical information to be communicated to the traveling public.
- 8 new CCTV cameras were installed that will allow the TOC staff to actively monitor this section of the freeway to improve traffic safety and operations.
- 7 ramp meters which will increase the speed of the traffic on the freeway during congested periods and make merging onto the freeway during peak travel times much safer.
- 1 new node building was constructed to house the FMS equipment that monitors the new sensors and communicates the data to the Traffic Operations Center.
- Traffic detection loops were added every mile in both directions. These loops will assist ADOT staff in determining travel times, speeds of vehicles, and levels of service.
ADOT's Traffic Operations Center
New CCTV Camera at 7th Ave TOC Control Room
For additional information please contact:
Reza Karimvand, P.E
Assistant State Engineer
Arizona Department of Transportation
2302 West Durango Street
Phoenix, Arizona 85009-6452
Download this project in pdf format, which requires Adobe Reader to view.