March 7, 2012
The Arizona Department of Transportation will close the Ruthrauff Road traffic interchange this weekend and will also close lanes on eastbound and westbound I-10 Saturday (March 10) while crews repave the area in anticipation of the I-10 Prince Road underpass closure for the I-10 Widening Project between Ruthrauff Road and Prince Road project in Tucson.
What to Expect:
- The Ruthrauff Road traffic interchange will be closed from 9 p.m. Friday (March 9) to 11 p.m. Sunday (March 11). All entrance and exit ramps at I-10 and Ruthrauff Road will be closed during this time period. Motorists are advised to follow detour signage for I-10 access:
- To access businesses on the westbound or eastbound I-10 frontage road, motorists will follow signage for "through-traffic only access" from Ruthrauff Road.
- To access I-10 from El Camino del Cerro, follow detour signage to Grant Road.
- To access Ruthrauff Road from westbound I-10, use Prince Road or Orange Grove Road exits.
- To access El Camino del Cerro from eastbound I-10, use the eastbound frontage road from the I-10 Orange Grove Road exit.
- The left lane on eastbound and westbound I-10 will be closed from Ruthrauff Road to Prince Road on Saturday (March 10) from 5 a.m. to 12 p.m.
- The right lane on westbound I-10 will be closed from Prince Road to Ruthrauff Road on Saturday (March 10) from 12 p.m. to 5 p.m.
The Prince Road traffic interchange at I-10 will be closed at 12:01 a.m. on Monday (March 12). The westbound entrance and exit ramps at I-10 and Prince Road will be closed at this time. Within the next 60 days, the eastbound I-10 Prince Road entrance and exit ramps will close. The Prince Road traffic interchange will not re-open until late 2013.
The Runway Drive closure from Prince Road to Weymouth Drive for approximately 45 days has been postponed until further notice, due to additional utility work.
Other ongoing traffic impacts in the project area:
- The eastbound I-10 frontage road between the Ruthrauff Road entrance ramp and the Prince Road exit ramp is closed.
- Access to all businesses on the eastbound I-10 frontage road between Ruthrauff Road and Prince Road is available by entering eastbound I-10 from Ruthrauff Road and immediately exiting at the Prince Road exit ramp.
- Prince Road is closed west of the eastbound I-10 frontage road to vehicles, pedestrians and bicyclists. Access is available from Prince Road on the east side of I-10 to Prince Road on the west side of I-10, where Prince Road connects to the frontage road.
- Riverpark Drive, La Cholla Boulevard and Business Center Drive, west of I-10 at Prince Road, are closed through spring 2012.
- The left lane of the westbound I-10 frontage road south of Prince Road is currently closed for approximately 12 months.
- The left lane of the westbound I-10 frontage road south of Ruthrauff Road is currently closed for approximately two months in preparation of the crossover.
During the Prince Road traffic interchange closure, I-10 will remain open with three lanes in each direction during construction, including emergency access lanes, with only minimal short-term lane closures along I-10 in the project area when necessary. Access to all businesses in the construction area will remain throughout the project.
Some of the improvements that are planned for this project include:
- Widening the I-10 freeway to four lanes in each direction to accommodate increasing traffic.
- Reconstructing the Prince Road traffic interchange so that Prince Road will pass over the Union Pacific Railroad tracks and I-10 and minimize delays for motorists.
- Updating the entrance and exit ramps to provide better connections and improved access for motorists.
- New landscaping along the project area.
The construction schedule is subject to change due to a variety of reasons, including weather, material availability and mechanical difficulties. ADOT advises drivers to proceed through or near work zones with caution, slow down, and be alert for construction equipment and personnel.
For more information about this project please visit www.azdot.gov/statewide or contact Gabriella Kemp, Yuma District Senior Community Relations Officer at 928.317.2165. Local media should contact the ADOT Public Information Office at 1.800.949.8057. Visit us on facebook or our website for more information about ADOT. For more information about ADOT projects and programs across Arizona, see the agency's latest blog posts.